Report damage

Report damage

Reporting external damage or health and safety issues

We’re very sorry if we’ve caused damage to your property during recent work, let us know by calling us on 0800 023 2023, Option 1, Option 2 and we’ll put it right.

It’s important that you let us know if you think that any part of our network (outside the boundary of your property) has the potential to be a danger to the general public. If you notice that it has been damaged, let us know by calling 0800 023 2023, Option 1, Option 1. You can also report unsafe Openreach worksites through this number too. 

This could include the following: 

  • Damaged underground cables (typically caused by mechanical diggers in built-up areas)
  • Loose cables or cables dangling from telephone poles
  • Damaged green cabinets and/or open doors on them
  • Damaged telephone poles (e.g. poles leaning at awkward angles, or poles that have been completely smashed to the ground)
  • Loose, cracked or missing manhole covers.

Highways and utilities

We want to make sure our street equipment is working exactly as it should, undamaged and not causing obstructions. It’s the right thing to do, and it’s the law.

So if you notice defective Openreach equipment, please email us a photo of the equipment so we can check it belongs to us and then get it sorted. It’s really helpful if you give us the precise location details so we can fix it quickly – for example, a full postcode, or even a 12 digit grid reference.

If you want to check if the equipment is ours, please download a copy of our Identifying our equipment booklet.

To get in touch you can:

  • Send us an email
  • ETON 6: You can submit your Section 81's direct into Openreach by using the noticing system
  • SRWR: In Scotland, notification should be made using the Defective Apparatus Notification Form in the Scottish Road Works Register
  • Call the Council/Highway Authority only priority telephone number, for 2-4 hour emergency response.