When you want our network moved

When you want our network moved


How we can help

When you need our network moved to make way for your project, we can help.

For residential and business customers, we can:

  • Move overhead cables to allow building work
  • Remove and relocate poles, manholes, joint boxes, green cabinets and underground ducts and overhead cables
  • Provide underground cabling
  • Alter our infrastructure in a public highway

For a local authority, highway authority or utility company we do:

  • Roadworks – new highways or alterations to existing road infrastructure
  • Bridge works – replace the bridge decks, water proofing or complete structure removal or replacement
  • Public transport infrastructure – additions and improvements to tram, railway and cycle routes
  • Town centre regeneration – new shopping centre projects or regeneration of existing sites

Find out more about the kind of projects we can do for you.

If you don’t need our network to be moved or removed, you should contact your service provider about anything related to your existing phone or broadband service. They’re best placed to progress installation or repair work on your behalf with Openreach, including booking an engineering appointment.

Placing your order 

Find out how to place your order, what to expect when you contact us, what happens after you get in touch and what to do if things ever go wrong.

Working with Openreach infrastructure

Openreach manages the access network in the UK. This covers all the items which take a service from the local exchange to a property including poles, cabinets, drop-wires, brackets or bold fixings, lead-in cables, cleats and the master socket itself.

Contractors working on the exterior walls of buildings in the UK can come into contact with our equipment (e.g. lines, eyebolts etc) on a regular basis. This work often requires the use of ladders and/or scaffolding and we understand that our plant may be in the way when work is being carried out and may need moving or rearrangement.

External work on buildings can take many forms including the following:

  • External wall insulation
  • Pebble dashing
  • Pointing
  • Double glazing
  • Fascia boards/soffits, guttering and down pipes
  • Roofing
  • Building extensions
  • Satellite dishes

Before starting work on the exterior wall of a property in the UK you should contact us so that we can:

  • Survey the property to assess the plant in place
  • Quote for any work we need to do, such as temporarily moving drop wires
  • Agree with you when the work will be done

Benefits of contacting us

We can make sure that you avoid potential safety hazards and damage to our equipment which will impact service to our customers. 

It is important that our equipment meets strict guidelines to ensure that they are safe, for example that they are at the correct height.

What do I need to do?

External wall insulation and similar large scale works for or on behalf of housing stock owners

Please see the step-by-step guide to find out more. For any other type of work on individual dwellings including: pebble dashing, double glazing, pointing, fascia boards/soffits, guttering, down pipes, roofing, building extensions and satellite dishes please contact our customer service team on 0800 783 2023 or complete our online form
Please note: you can't cover our equipment with external insulation materials or other coverings without contacting us to make the necessary changes.

What happens if I alter your network in any way or don't contact you?

If you don't contact us and an incident occurs because you or your contractors have altered, interfered or tampered with our network, you will be held responsible – potential consequences include compensation claims, investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and possible criminal charges.

If there is any Openreach equipment on a property you'll be working on, we're the only people who can move it for you. If you don't contact us and make any alterations, remove or replace fixings, remove drop-wires or lead-ins (temporarily or permanently) or do anything which adversely affects our network this would be classed as trespass and we would take appropriate action against any third party who trespasses on our network.


Get more information on our products and services, as well as details on how to get in touch with us.